Saturday, July 28, 2007

I discovered Minette Walters this summer

After reading Agatha Christie all my teenage years, I was set up for a lot up disappointment in the rest of crime fiction. Nothing compared to the sense of anticipation and joy when Hercule Poirot gathered everybody in one room to unravel the mystery. Over the years, though, there have been two writers that I came to enjoy. One was Sue Grafton, the other one Richard North Patterson. This summer, I discovered a new one.

It's Minette Walters from Britain. I first read The Ice House which was impossible to put down. Then, I read The Devil's Feather, The Scold's Bridle, and The Sculptress. What I like best about these novels is the presence of very sophisticated, intelligent, strong characters, in particular women. These women have a certain integrity and intensity that is inspiring.

PS: If you like this genre, make sure you have seen Monk and Veronica Mars, two favorite TV shows.

No comments: