Saturday, July 28, 2007

Best of popular Economics books

When I was taking my first Economics class as an undergraduate, my professor suggested two Economics books for lay audiences on the syllabus. I read and found them both so captivating that I decided to major in Economics. Those books were Armchair Economist: Economics and Everday Life by Steven Landsburg, and Hidden Order: The Economics of Everyday Life by David D. Friedman

After I graduated I have read a few more of books of the same genre which I found equally fascinating;
Naked Economics: Undressing the Dismal Science by Charles Wheelan, and The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford.

Finally, today I've finished, The Economic Naturalist by Robert Frank. It's superb. Why do bars charge for water but give peanuts for free? If we have Blockbuster Video, why do we not have Blockbuster Book? Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets? Why do animal-rights activist target fur-wearing women but not men in leather jackets? The book answers all these questions and many more.


If you liked Freakonomics, then I bet you will like all these books. Likewise, if you like mysteries, but never read anything on Economics, try these.


No comments: